« December 2005 | Main | February 2006 »

January 31, 2006

I love my job

Right now I've got about 6 hours a day of production work at my job. Normally not bad, but this whole 'transitioning into projects' thing I'm doing has added another 5 hours a day worth of work. Throw in the fact that I'm training my replacement who happens to be new to the company and doesn't know anything about our systems, and we're talking about another 3-4 hours worth of work.

I'm hourly, not allowed to work overtime and got yelled at yesterday for not taking my 1/2 hour lunch that by law I'm required to take.

I don't know about you, but seeing as how I work at a financial institution, we'll have a math lesson:

Hours of work at my desk needing to be done - 6+5+3=14

Hours I'm allowed to work - 8

And then my manager wonders why shit isn't getting finished when she wants it done.

Posted by Jenny at 11:09 PM | Comments (0)

January 30, 2006

I wonder how that works

Prices at the local gas station went from $2.09 this morning to $2.29 tonight.

Exxon-Mobile announced their 4th quarter profits of $10.7 billion.

Gee, I wonder how they made all that money?

Posted by Jenny at 10:38 PM | Comments (0)

January 18, 2006

mmmmm

You want to know what's good when it's 24 degrees outside? Nice hearty homemade potato soup you only have to heat up. My aunt hooked me up on Sunday with about 20 disposable containers filled with different homemade soups and I thought tonight was a great night to try one of them out. I have to tell you, that is some mighty fine stuff.

So now I got to go to choir rehearsal tonight, my belly is full and I'm about to watch Lost. Not a bad life at all.

Posted by Jenny at 09:52 PM | Comments (0)

January 17, 2006

Stop the music madness!

I came to the conclussion today that I absolutely abhor pop rock/dance music. I was flipping through the stations on my drive to work today (because I really can't stand the morning shows and I hate commercials) and I hit our local purveyor of pop. I listened for a couple of minutes, because it was music instead of talking, and I have to tell you that by the time I managed to change the station, I wanted someone to come and cut my ears out of my head.

When I was a kid, I grew up listening to the golden oldies. It was really the only thing everyone in our house could agree upon as acceptable music. The first time I heard the likes of Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin I must have been around 11 or 12 and I realized what I'd been missing. And of course, having my mother tell me I could't listen to them because "They were drug addicts, Jenny. That's why they're dead and that's why I don't want you listening to that crap." made it that much more exciting. As I grew, my tastes migrated toward the grunge/alternative rock scene of the early '90's. I could listen to Nirvana for hours at a time, and I absolutely loved it. Throw in a little Violent Femmes for good measure and hint of Metallica to make it complete and I was golden. If you look through my CD collection, there's an alarming amount of Led Zepplin, every Nirvana CD created, most of the Green Day albums, and list goes on.

I still love all of those bands, but things have changed a little. It pretty much goes like this: If I can understand the lyrics and sing along to it, I'll listen to it, though I still migrate towards the alternative stuff. (What exactly is the current term for alternative music, anyway?) But that damn shit from this morning caused me to almost scratch my eyeballs out of my head. I don't know if it's the bass or whatever the hell the rest of that music is, but I'm telling you, after two minutes, I couldn't change that station fast enough.

Posted by Jenny at 05:29 PM | Comments (1)

January 13, 2006

To no avail

Since I had the day off, I thought I'd try to track down a good place to take pictures of the sunset. I hopped in my car around 3 and took off towards the west. I got to some good places, but the sky was cloudy as the sun set and there weren't any spectacular colors to see. So today was a bust in my attempt at photography, but I did manage to scout out some good locations for future reference. I found a couple of spots that would look pretty awesome in spring and fall, so I'm pretty sure I'll be making a return trip in that direction.

Posted by Jenny at 11:15 PM | Comments (1)

Martin, you were a great guy

Reason #16876547 why I like working at a financial institution:

When the government shuts down for a national holiday, like Martin Luther King, Jr Day, I don't have to go to work. And it's even better when you turn those Monday holidays into 4-day weekends by taking the Friday before off.

So I hope you all have a lovely Friday at work. I'll think of you while I'm sleeping in. :)

Posted by Jenny at 12:40 AM | Comments (0)

January 12, 2006

Sanity or Craziness?

I'm still freaking out a bit about everything that's going on right now, but I think I'm making headway on the new job-related stuff.

I got my first project today, and after reading through the requirements (which actually made sense to me) I was able to come up with specific ideas and thoughts relating to how it will affect my area and along the way I thought up a process improvement.

I'll be talking to my manager tomorrow about the process changes, and hopefully after a cost benefit analysis we can get started on getting something written to speed up the process.

And to make my day complete, I was listening to Green Day's Bullet In A Bible when all of a sudden I heard "Always look on the bright side of life. do,do...do,do...do,do,do,do,do,do." Who knew Green Day could do Monty Python? Just thinking about Life of Brian brings a smile to my face. How can you not love the Judean People's Front Suicide Squad when the singing starts after they've killed themselves? That is some funny stuff, man.

Posted by Jenny at 12:42 AM | Comments (0)

January 09, 2006

Winds of change

I'm a little stressed out right now about a few things. First and foremost, my cousin and I are getting ready to put the house up for sale and I'm a little nervous about the whole thing. I have faith that we'll ultimately get what we want, but that doesn't make it any less nerve-racking. I know I'll have to find a place and I haven't decided if I want to rent or buy. And if I want to buy, will I be able to get what I want and afford it. For that matter, will I be able to get what I want renting?

The next item on the agenda for stress is work. I was told today that I'll be transitioning into a project support role, which is cool, but totally venturing into unknown territory. I'm currently in production team lead role, meaning I answer everyones questions because I've got all of that random work-related information stored in my brain and can recall it at will. Now I'll be using all of that stuff to help implement new programs and system changes that affect my current department. While I agree with my management that this is a good career move for me, I don't want to get in over my head. My biggest fear is being an utter failure. I hate to fail, but have been know to do things that I know I can't succeed at. Call it a character flaw. I just worry that this is one of those things.

Everything just seems to be in chaos right now. I know things will calm down, but this entire life transition right now sucks.

Posted by Jenny at 10:30 PM | Comments (2)

January 06, 2006

Sleep Deprivation

I hate this feeling that I have of always being tired. For some reason, even though I'm tired enough to fall asleep at 10:00 most nights, I'm up until 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning. This would be fine if I was 21 again and partying it up, but I'm not. My ass has to get up and go to work every morning, and every morning it gets harder to wake up. My only saving grace in this is being able to sleep in on Saturday's. I can usually get between 7 and 10 hours in. And that's only because once I'm asleep, unless there's an alarm clock 2 feet from my ear, I won't wake up until I'm ready.

I have an idea of what's causing it, but that doesn't make it any easier to deal with. 2+ months of this shit is way too much.

Posted by Jenny at 10:58 PM | Comments (1)

January 02, 2006

Icy

If I woke you up just now, sorry. It was just me taking out the garbage can. Down the longest, steepest driveway in America. After two days of intermittent rain and temperatures hovering right around freezing, that means it's also the iciest.

I successfully avoided falling on my ass tonight, thank goodness, though if I had, it wouldn't have been the first time. I did however let the can rest flat on it's bottom and slide down while I was holding on, my feet sideways trying to get some traction. Picture yourself on downhill ski's getting your edges to bit in so you can stop. That's what I was doing going down my driveway. The way back up I didn't even walk on the driveway, I just hopped through the snowbanks on the side. Much safer than the driveway.

When I finally made it back to the top, I threw a little more salt down where Wendy parks so she won't kill herself in the morning going to work. Here's to hoping it actually melts the ice.

Posted by Jenny at 11:30 PM | Comments (1)

Hello, my name is Jenny and I'm an addict.

I've decided today that I have an addiction. I didn't realize it was as bad as it was until this afternoon. My addiction? Sci-fi. Seriously.

I was watching the Sci-Fi channel today, and every time a commercial came on for the new episodes of Battlestar Galactica, Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis, I had to stop whatever I was doing and completely focus my attention on the television.

I find a strange dichotomy in this because I really don't like to read sci-fi. I'd much rather focus on the fantasy side of things in my literature. I think it relates to the fact that most fantasy is people on horses with swords, magic and stuff like that. I can envision those things when I read it. I know what horses, swords and villages look like. I can't do that with sci-fi because everything is so futuristic you have to completely come up with the image on your own. I don't even know how people think this shit up.

But damn, I love to watch it. I haven't really felt this way about any television show since Farscape was on. Again with the whole space thing. And before that, it was The X-Files. The old school X-Files, pre-Mulder abduction/Scully pregnant.

As much as I love shows like Lost and 24, they all pale in comparison to my sci-fi obsession. The worst part of all of this is that the shows take up 3 hours of a Friday evening. A night when I could be out doing something, meeting people, engaging in a social life. And where am I? Sitting at home enthralled with the spaceships.

Where was I when Serenity came out? At the midnight showing of course. I just couldn't help myself.

Damn those people who create this stuff. You want me to watch your show? Just put it in space. I'll watch it in a heartbeat. They do their jobs way too well.

Posted by Jenny at 10:20 PM | Comments (0)

January 01, 2006

Hello!

Hi! My name is Cohen and I'm laughing at my dad while he makes funny faces and noises so his Aunt Jenny can get a picture of me smiling.

Cohen1.jpg

And this is my sister Lily. She didn't sleep well yesterday, so she was really tired today and not into socializing with anyone.

Lily1.jpg

Posted by Jenny at 01:43 AM | Comments (0)

happy_new_year.gif

May you keep all of your resolutions and find happiness in the new year!

Posted by Jenny at 12:14 AM | Comments (0)